Terms and Conditions
Holiday Cottages and Bunkhouses Terms and Conditions
In these terms and conditions “You” or “Your” means the person named in the confirmation invoice. “We” or “Us” means the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty (Registered Charity Number 205846) of Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2 2NA.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before making your booking.
- Your contract with us will begin when we issue you with your confirmation invoice. Your contract with us will be on the terms set out in these terms and conditions.
- We may offer you the option of provisionally holding a booking if you contact us by telephone or email. We will let you know how long we are able to provisionally hold your booking for when you contact us – if you do not confirm your booking by that time, the accommodation will be released for general sale.
- All bookings are formally confirmed when we issue you with your confirmation invoice. Your confirmation invoice will set out the accommodation you have booked, the dates of your booking, the total amount payable for your booking and the dates on which payments are due. We will issue you with your confirmation invoice by email or, if requested, by post.
- You, as the person making the booking, will be responsible for all members of your party. You, as the person in charge of your party, must be at least 18 years old at the time of booking.
Paying for your accommodation
- For bookings made more than 8 weeks in advance you must pay us one third of the total amount payable for your booking at the time of booking. We must then receive the balance by the date set out in your confirmation invoice (which will generally be 8 weeks before the start of your stay).
- For bookings made less than 8 weeks in advance, you must pay us the total amount payable for your booking at the time of booking.
- If you do not make any payment by the date it is due, we will send you a reminder by post, by email or by telephone. If you fail to make the relevant payment within 14 days of the date it is due, we will assume that you wish to cancel your booking. If this happens, your booking will immediately be cancelled and the cancellation charges set out in Section 4.2 (“If you want to cancel your booking”) will apply.
- If you pay by credit card (other than by National Trust credit card) we will charge you 1.5% for each payment made this way. No charge applies for payments made by debit card or by National Trust credit card.
- If you pay using a National Trust credit card, you are entitled to a 10% discount on the total amount payable for your booking. For telephone bookings, the applicable discount will automatically be processed by our holidays team. For online bookings, please make your booking as usual and then call our holidays team on 0344 800 2070 with your booking reference and credit card to hand. Our holidays team will then be able to process any applicable discount.
Pricing for our accommodation
- We periodically review and amend the prices we charge for our accommodation. For the most up to date pricing information please check our website or call us on 0344 800 2070. We will confirm the price of your accommodation at the time you make your booking and in your confirmation invoice.
- All prices given in our brochures, by telephone or on our website include VAT. If the VAT rates change, we reserve the right to change our prices accordingly.
- All prices given in our brochures, by telephone or on our website include all charges for water, gas, electricity, and oil.
If you want to cancel your booking
- If you wish to cancel a confirmed booking you must let us know by email or in writing as soon as possible. Your booking will be cancelled with effect from the day we receive your email or written notification.
The closer your cancellation is to the start of your booking, the less likely we are to recover the cost of your booking by re-selling your accommodation. Our cancellation charges therefore increase as your start date approaches. For the purposes of the table below, the total cost means the total amount payable in relation to your booking, as set out in your confirmation invoice.
No. of days prior to holiday start date Cancellation charge
More than 180 days £25
180 to 57 days 33% of the total cost
56 to 29 days 50% of the total cost
28 to 8 days 75% of the total cost
8 days or less after holiday start date 100% of the total cost
If you want to change your booking
- If you want to change any detail of your confirmed booking you must let us know by telephone, by email or in writing as soon as possible.
- Whilst we will do our best to accommodate you, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet any request for changes. Please note that it is not possible for us to change bookings less than two months before the start date.
- If we do change your booking, you must pay us a charge of £25 to cover the costs we incur in making the change to your booking. You must also pay us any additional rental costs due as a result of the change – we will confirm the amount of any additional rental costs due at the time we change your booking. If your rental costs are lower as a result of the change – we will refund you the difference at the time we change your booking.
If we need to change or cancel your booking
- We do not expect to have to make changes to your booking, however sometimes problems happen and bookings have to be changed or cancelled. We will only change or cancel your booking if necessary to perform or complete essential remedial or refurbishment works or for other reasons unforeseen at the time you made your booking which are beyond our reasonable control.
- If we do need to change or cancel your booking, we will do our best to offer you a suitable alternative booking. If we are not able to offer you a suitable alternative, or if you do not accept the alternative we offer, we will refund you the total amount you have paid us for the booking.
- If we do need to change or cancel your booking under this Section 6, we will only be responsible for foreseeable losses that you suffer as a result of that change or cancellation and we will not be responsible for any unforeseeable losses you suffer as a result of that change or cancellation. A loss is foreseeable if it is an obvious consequence of our change or cancellation of your booking or if it was contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into this contract.
Visitor standards and behaviour
- You will be provided with a welcome pack at your accommodation that contains important information about your stay with us. Please ensure that you and your party read the welcome pack carefully on arrival. You must also ensure that you and your party familiarise yourselves with the layout of the accommodation and the location of the fire exits.
- You must only use the accommodation for the purposes of your holiday. You must not use the accommodation for any other purpose, including for any business purposes.
- You must keep the accommodation and its contents clean and tidy and leave them in the same condition as when you arrived.
- You must not use the accommodation, or allow it to be used, for any dangerous, offensive, noisy, illegal or immoral activities. You must not cause any nuisance or annoyance to any neighbours or anyone else during your stay.
- Smoking is not permitted in any part of your accommodation. You and your party must not smoke inside your accommodation. You and your party must not use candles, fireworks or Chinese lanterns at your accommodation. You and your party must not use a barbecue at your accommodation unless we have provided one.
- If your accommodation has an open fire, stove or woodburner, you must comply with the instructions found in the welcome pack, particularly regarding the appropriate fuel to use for your safety.
- Dogs are permitted at certain of our properties, as indicated in our brochure and on our website. You must tell us at the time of booking if you wish to bring a dog to one of our dog friendly properties. Please do not bring dogs to our properties that are not indicated as dog friendly. Unfortunately, no other domestic pets are permitted at our properties. Assistance dogs are permitted at our properties, however you must notify us at the time of booking if you wish to bring an assistance dog with you.
- Please note that if you do not comply with the standards and behaviours set out in this Section 7 we may need to exercise our rights under Section 12 (“Our right to evict”).
Maximum occupancy for your accommodation
- You must ensure that the maximum number of persons occupying the accommodation does not exceed the maximum occupancy limits set out in our brochure and on our website. You must not bring additional camp beds to the accommodation or allow tents, caravans or campervans at the accommodation.
- We set maximum occupancy limits in line with the facilities and equipment available at the relevant accommodation. Exceeding the maximum occupancy limits can overload facilities and lead to extensive damage. As such, we reserve the right to require you to leave the premises (without any compensation) if you exceed the maximum occupancy limits as described in this Section 8.
- If you wish to hold a party or other celebration at the accommodation that would cause you to exceed the maximum occupancy limit, you must obtain our written permission in advance.
Damage to the accommodation or its contents
- If you discover that anything is missing or damaged on arrival at your accommodation you must notify us immediately on 0800 023 2175. If you do not notify us we will assume that you caused the relevant damage or loss.
- You will be responsible for the cost of any accidental damage you or your party cause to the property or its contents in excess of £250. So, for example, if you cause accidental damage of £500, you will need to pay us £250.
- You will be responsible for 100% of the cost of any non-accidental damage you or your party cause to the property or its contents. Any loss or damage caused by your failure to meet the requirements set out in these terms and conditions or in your welcome pack, will be considered non-accidental damage.
If you have a problem or complaint
- We take care to ensure that our accommodation is of a high standard. However, if you have any problems with your accommodation, please contact us immediately and give us the opportunity to resolve it. Please contact our holidays team by telephone on 0800 023 2175 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will work with you to ensure that any complaints are investigated and resolved as promptly and efficiently as possible.
If you have an unresolved complaint at the end of your stay please contact:
Customer Care Manager, National Trust Holiday Cottages, Caithness House, Western Way, Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12 8DZ, email address: email@example.com, tel: 0344 800 2070
In considering any complaint we will take into account whether we have been given the opportunity to investigate it and put matters right.
- Please note that we will not tolerate any verbal or physical abuse towards any of our staff or representatives.
Our rights of access
- Our staff or contractors may need to access your accommodation if there is an unforeseen problem, to investigate a complaint you have made, or to perform certain routine property checks. If this happens, we will do our best to let you know in advance of the date and time that we will need access.
- If your stay with us lasts more than seven days, our staff or contractors will need to access the accommodation in order to perform a service clean and to change the linen.
- If we do need to access your accommodation for any reason we will always try to access the property at reasonably convenient times (other than in the event of an emergency).
Our right to evict
We may terminate our contract with you and ask you to leave your accommodation immediately (without any compensation being payable) if:
- we consider that you or your party have committed a serious breach of these terms and conditions;
- we consider that your or your party’s behaviour endangers the safety of our visitors or staff;
- any complaints are made of anti-social or unacceptable behaviour against you or your party;
- you or your party cause an unreasonable amount of damage to the property or its contents; or
- you exceed the maximum occupancy limit for your accommodation.
- We may terminate our contract with you and ask you to leave your accommodation immediately (without any compensation being payable) if:
Our liability to you
- If we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is foreseeable as a result of our breach of these terms and conditions or our negligence, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if it is an obvious consequence of our breach or if it was contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into this contract.
Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to limit our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by our negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation on our part;
- any breach of the terms implied by Section 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982; or
- defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
Events beyond our control
- We will not be responsible for any failure to perform our obligations under these terms and conditions that is caused by an event outside our control.
- An event outside our control means any act or event that is beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster, strikes or industrial action by third parties, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war or threat of war, civil commotion, riot, invasion, or failure of public or private telecommunications networks.
Some practical information for your stay
- Your check-in and departure times will be set out in your confirmation invoice. Normally, check-in is available from 3.30pm on the first day of your stay and departure is required before 10am on the last day of your stay. If you do not leave the accommodation by the required departure time we reserve the right to charge you a late checkout fee to cover any costs we incur.
- If you leave any of your possessions behind at your accommodation, please contact us as soon as possible. We reserve the right to charge you for any storage and delivery costs that we incur in relation to your lost property. We will hold all lost property for six months, after which it will be disposed of.
- Many of our properties are located in rural areas and it is important that you and your party do not interrupt or endanger the livelihood of those working at the property or on the surrounding land.
- Bats and other wildlife may be present at some of our properties. Any disturbance caused by wildlife should be reported to us immediately and reasonable steps will then be taken to assist. Please remember that bats are a protected species and it is illegal to interfere with them or their habitat.
- We may communicate with you from time to time about our work. We will tell you how we do this on our website.
- These terms and conditions are governed by English law. You and we both agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.